Homeowners in the Acworth and Atlanta areas may not realize the importance of proper air filter replacement. Air filters are responsible for cleaning home air before it enters the home and filtering out pollutants. There are several different types of filters. With proper HVAC maintenance you can keep your system running efficiently with the correct filter for your system.
Types of Filters
When a filter isn’t replaced often enough, the heating and cooling system becomes vulnerable to breakdowns. Surprise HVAC repairs can be costly so performing an air filter replacement every six months is vital to the life and operation of your system. Filter options include:
- Fiberglass Filters: inexpensive and disposable, but aren’t great for people who are concerned about reducing waste
- Pleated and Polyester Filters: great for dust reduction and disposable, but have a higher air flow resistance, which causes higher energy use
- Reusable Filters: also known as washable filters, reduces efficiency as it gets dirty, and aren’t always available for all residential homes
HEPA filters are high-efficiency particulate arrestance filters that are great at eliminating larger and smaller particles. HEPA filters achieve this type of elimination using a two-part process. An external filter catches the larger particles while an internal filter is responsible for trapping and eliminating smaller particles. The fibers on the filter are made of glass and the particles stick to the glass fibers due to the rate of airflow.
- Best for homeowners with asthma, allergies, and other respiratory issues
- Enhanced filtering compared to other regular filters
- Ability to capture different types of viruses, bacteria, and mold
- 99.9% of airborne particles and 0.3 micron sized particles are trapped
- Can be used as a pre-filter for other higher efficiency filters
- Higher cost compared to other filters
- Not reusable
- Not able to remove gases or odors from indoor air
- Not appropriate for every residential HVAC system
Understanding the differences between all filters, including a HEPA filter, can keep your system running smoothly between HVAC maintenance calls. Edwards Heating & Air has NATE-certified technicians who will assist you with air filter replacement and keep your system performing at its highest with HVAC repairs. Call us today to schedule HVAC maintenance or an HVAC repair call!